Subject: Re: DVD movies.
To: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/21/2002 23:58:26
> > How do I do that?  Presently, I just run it, and it brings up a GUI for
> > me.
>
> ogle -u cli

Increasing the SYSV shared-memory space solved the problem with ogle.

Havng played with both, I'm not sure which I prefer.  ogle is easier to
use (once you build a custom kernel with the shared memory space it
requires), but mplayer seems to have more options (and produces slightly
better overall quality, I think, on my system---once I found the
parameters that I needed to use).  On the other hand, ogle makes it easy
to navigate the DVD movie's menus, if you want to access the extra
information on the CD.  (mplayer may let you access the menus, but I
haven't found out how, yet.)

At least under XFree86 3.3.6 (no Xv extension, I believe), the quality is
something of a trade-off against what mplayer gives.  The picture appears
smoother in ogle, but the contrast is lower (and/or the value of each
color is lower).  As a result, black comes out as somewhat washed-out as
dark grey, rather than black.

mplayer has decidedly better colors, and I think a more correct aspect
ratio.  (Correcting the aspect may be why mplayer's playback looks less
smooth.)

So far, I have been unable to set the playback dimensions (again, possibly
because I don't have the Xv extension in XFree86 3.3.6).  But I can change
the X server display mode to get a good approximation to filling the
screen (or at least the width, with a widescreen/letterbox format).  The
resolution isn't ideal, but the bottleneck is presumably the PCI bus to
get data to the video card, so a larger image might not work anyway.

Lastly, mplayer (at least) seems to only want to use 12 bits per pixel for
me.  So, playing in 24 bits doesn't make its life any easier than in 16
bits (and, in fact, requirs 50% more data to be pumped out)

The short of it: It works.  No need to upgrade OS, throw out my perfectly
good PCI video card, or switch to XFree86 4.x.