Subject: Re: DVD movies.
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/21/2002 15:26:44
On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, Richard Rauch wrote:
> When I start this up using mplayer, the ``xconsole'' window is filling (as
> is dmesg, I'm sure) with thousands of these messages:
>
> cd1(pciide1:1:1):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x28 00 00 03 cf 2e 00 00 01 00
>     SENSE KEY:  Illegal Request
>      ASC/ASCQ:  ASC 0x6f ASCQ 0x03

If I'm interpreting this correctly, the drive is returning "Illegal
Request" in response to a READ_BIG command (and the 0003cf2e is the
block number it's trying to read). My guess is that without libdvdcss,
the drive isn't allowing you to read anything. Definitely not sure about
that though :)

> $ ogle
> Note[ogle_ctrl]: ogle 0.8.2
> Debug[ogle_ctrl]: Started /usr/pkg/lib/ogle/ogle_gui with pid 29208
> Debug[ogle_ctrl]: Started /usr/pkg/lib/ogle/ogle_nav with pid 29209
> Debug[ogle_ctrl]: Started /usr/pkg/lib/ogle/ogle_mpeg_ps with pid 29210
> Debug[ogle_ctrl]: Started /usr/pkg/lib/ogle/ogle_vout with pid 29211
> libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.1 for DVD access
> *ctrl: get_buffer, shmget failed: Invalid argument

That doesn't look good... one thing I had to do to get ogle to work on
my machine was to bump the "SHMMAXPGS" option in my kernel config... I
think I changed it from its default of 1024 to 8192. However, I'm pretty
sure I was getting some other error (Cannot allocate memory?) rather
than "Invalid argument". As far as I can tell, there's no (easy) way to
change that option without recompiling your kernel. I could be wrong
though :)

Also, try running the cli instead of the gui... the gui always crashes
for me once I get to the DVD menu, and Peter Seebach mentioned that it
didn't work for him either.

BTW, does the patch to make ogle compile under NetBSD 1.5.x only work
for ogle 0.8.2? The version in pkgsrc is up to 0.8.4, and I seem to
remember the last time subject of DVD playing came up, 0.8.3 was highly
recommended.
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 26 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++