Subject: Re: ATI AGP cards (was: Re: DVD movies.)
To: Gerald C. Simmons <simmons@darykon.cet.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/21/2002 12:33:31
> > (With AGP cards as cheap as they are, there's no reason for me to buy
> > another PCI card.  I've just been delaying the switch to AGP because I
> > couldn't really get much benefit from it.  I figured that DRI would be the
> > natural way to take advantage of a "real" video card.)
> >

> On the DRI note, for now it is better to go with and AGP card. I've tried to

Yes, which is why I was tying the purchase of an AGP card to DRI.  Once
DRI is available (either natively, or if I return to dual-booting), a
decent AGP board and XFree86 4.x would follow immediately.  (I have
informally set my budget at about $100 to $150, U.S., for a video card
upgrade.  I was hoping to spend that in one burst when I could actually
use DRI.  When all that DVD needs is the AGP bandwidth, it's hard to
justify blowing all that I've budgeted for video *now*.  If I can make it
work passably well with PCI, I'll do that.

> get DRI under Linux / XFree86 4.1 to work for PCI cards, but can't seem to find
> the right incantation. I think this is a known short coming of support for PCI
> cards. I remember something about a special kernel interface needed to support
> DRI, and it was there for AGP but not PCI.
>
> www.xfree86.org has some great write-ups on getting DRI to work. Also,

And what do they say about DRI under NetBSD?  (^&

Nevermind, there only about 3 things that they can say about DRI support
under NetBSD, so far as I know:

 * It's not there.

 * Someone is/may-be working on it.

 *

(That last one is UNIX opening her mouth and saying nothing, to paraphrase
part of a short history on echo(1)...(^&)

I.e., there's no point in consulting the references you cite unless I have
time and background to work on DRI (I don't) or repartition my hard drive
to dual-boot (been there, done that; maybe I'll do it again sometime but
I'm in no hurry).