Subject: DVD movies and AGP cards...
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/20/2002 19:38:49
BTW, apologies to anyone if I've come off a bit acidic in the past few
emails.  I was a bit miffed to find after buying a DVD player, Ogle won't
build, and I felt (rightly or wrongly) that the pkg DESCR, and/or people
singing its praises, should have said, "You need to upgrade to 1.6 BETA or
-current in order to use this..."

Still, mplayer built.  I assume that with the mentioned library, I can
actually play directly from DVD's without any problem, so I'm going to
shut my 'puter down and see if my IDE cable is long enough for it.  (^&

Thanks to people who've helped so far.  It may be running a bit late for
me to go out and pick up a DVD movie tonight, but I can probably get one
tomorrow or something.  I'll try it with the PCI card and see if it works
reasonably well at lower resolutions.  (I really want to postpone throwing
money at a new graphics card until DRI is an option, as I said.  But if
DVD movies are unviewable on PCI, I at least know that I can use DRI
support and cost as my primary/sole concerns.  I may even give ATI a
second chance.  (^&)

Again, sorry for any acid, and thanks for the help.  I'll let people know
how mplayer handles it on 1.5.2 with a PCI card.