Subject: Re: DVD movies.
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/20/2002 19:34:14
On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Richard Rauch wrote:
> From what I've been gathering, I *could* play "most" DVD's since I'm in
> "region 1" and "region 1" is well-supported (read: if I buy or rent a DVD
> movie, it will be a "region 1" DVD, almost certainly).  Is that wrong?

Not without libdvdcss... without the decryption code, you'll be able to
play unencrypted DVDs (and there are a few out there); you'll still need
the CSS decryption to play the majority of discs. A convenient
side-effect of bypassing CSS is that it can bypass the region coding
system too, but that's not the main purpose.