Subject: Re: ATI AGP cards (was: Re: DVD movies.)
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/20/2002 16:10:18
On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 05:20:10PM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:

> I think that you mis-understand.  I'm speculating/wondering about the
> origins of the overly-short edge-connector on the ATI PCI card that I
> tried.

I've no ideas there.  I have several NVidia boards, but I bought a Radeon
instead of a GeForce due to the better open source support.  I don't
have any experience with ATI PCI cards.

> As I said a ways back, I'm now looking for recommendations on AGP.  I'd
> still rather avoid ATI because of the trouble their PCI card caused me.

Heh, I can understand that.  Anyways, my ATI works perfectly, AFAICT.
DRI would be nice, and I'll have it eventually I'm sure.  (something I am
likely to never have on NetBSD with NVidia cards)

> But it may not be so easy to avoid them.  And, maybe AGP cards are
> supposed to have short connectors and ATI's AGP cards are not too
> obnoxious to install.  (^&

Well the NVidia cards are nice also. ;)  If you don't like ATI then go for a
nice cheap GeForce 2MX.

My reasons for recommending ATI is mostly related to the lack of open source
driver support from NVidia.

> (With AGP cards as cheap as they are, there's no reason for me to buy
> another PCI card.  I've just been delaying the switch to AGP because I
> couldn't really get much benefit from it.  I figured that DRI would be the
> natural way to take advantage of a "real" video card.)

DRI is for OpenGL support.  I don't believe it matters much for the video
overlay or whatever that ogle / mplayer would use.

It is just a good idea to get something that can support DRI in the future.
(DRI on NetBSD that is)

-Andrew