Subject: Re: ATI AGP cards (was: Re: DVD movies.)
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/20/2002 17:20:10
> > The problem, I think, is that the ATI card uses too-short an edge
> > connector on its card.  (It is visibly much shorter on their PCI card that
> > I tried than other PCI video cards.  This was also complained about by
> > someone else on one of the NetBSD lists as I recall.)  I don't know if
> > this is a problem peculiar to the PCI cards, or if it's because ATI makes
> > AGP cards, too, and AGP cards are *supposed* to have short connectors.
>
> If you aren't going to upgrade to AGP, don't bother at this point.  You
> want the additional bandwidth of AGP for your DVD playback.

I think that you mis-understand.  I'm speculating/wondering about the
origins of the overly-short edge-connector on the ATI PCI card that I
tried.

As I said a ways back, I'm now looking for recommendations on AGP.  I'd
still rather avoid ATI because of the trouble their PCI card caused me.
But it may not be so easy to avoid them.  And, maybe AGP cards are
supposed to have short connectors and ATI's AGP cards are not too
obnoxious to install.  (^&

(With AGP cards as cheap as they are, there's no reason for me to buy
another PCI card.  I've just been delaying the switch to AGP because I
couldn't really get much benefit from it.  I figured that DRI would be the
natural way to take advantage of a "real" video card.)

Anyway, I have a DVD player.  I'll shut the system down and see if I can
pop it in and build Ogle.  If all goes well, I'll go try to find a DVD
movie to play on it.  (^&