Subject: Re: DVD movies.
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/20/2002 09:42:54
> > > 	I needed to update the firmware on the DVD drive to make
> > > 	it region free, and for my own edification put together a
> >
> > Updating firmware could be problematic, if I need a BillOS program to do
> > that.  Or was that something that you could update by buying a chip and
> > doing a bit of prying?
>
> 	You can get by by downloading FreeDOS or similar, then putting
> 	the update program on the same floppy. I had a Win95 install CD
> 	around that I could use to get to a dos command line :)

Means burning a CD with DOS on it (I'm not going to buy a floppy disk
drive just for this...(^&)

It's not clear to me that I *need* to do this, or if it's dependant on the
DVD drive model/revision.  I guess before I waste time and money on a DVD
drive that may not work as-is, I need to first see if I can get FreeDOS to
boot from CD.