Subject: Re: DVD movies.
To: None <jonl@yubyub.net>
From: Gerald C. Simmons <simmons@darykon.cet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/19/2002 12:33:43
On Fri, Jul 19 Richard Rauch wrote:

> > You may want to use an AGP card.  PCI cards can (and do) work for DVDs,
> > however, there will be some stuttering in the picture, and stranger things
>

> (mutter)  I *really* wanted to wait till DRI was close to being an option
> before buying a real card.  (Getting a VCR and a TV begins to sound
> preferable.  (^&)
>
> Okay, then...AGP recommendations?  Something that works nicely with NetBSD
> and XFree86?  Preferably something that is likely to work well with DRI..?
> As I recall, ATI's boards (at least for PCI bus) have too-short connectors
> and are a major pain to install, so I'd like to avoid ATI if I can.

I would hightly recommend any Radeon AGP card from ATI. I have several and have
had great luck with them under XFree86-4.2 with DRI.

I also have an Apple PowerBook G4 800MHz laptop w/ATI Radeon 7500 mobility chipset
with 32M DDR. DVD's look sweet on this thing! It even has a 16:9 ratio screen!

If my Mac running OS X BSD Un*x is comparable to Intel Boxes running NetBSD,
then even a 667MHz processor does well.

Gerry Simmons
simmons@darykon.cet.com