Subject: DVD movies.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/19/2002 10:30:44
Initially, I avoided DVD, since I knew NetBSD didn't support it, and I
didn't have anything to contribute to getting better support.  (And I run
NetBSD exclusively, so running Some Other OS to play movies wasn't really
an option.)

I gather that things have progressed somewhat, yes?

If I wanted to occasionally rent a DVD movie, what considerations should I
have for the DVD player?

The system it would go in has an 800MHz Athlon, and I could use either
PCIIDE or SCSI.  The videocard is a ~5-year old PCI S3Virge/GX (/DX?) with
4MB of RAM.  I could upgrade the video card if need be---but without DRI
support, I've pretty much seen the video card as about as good as it's
going to get.  (^&

Any recommendations for necessary hardware, and prefered pkgsrc tools for
playing DVD movies?  (I've seen ogle mentioned from time to time...does it
work well?  I know that with MPEG animation players, there's considerable
variation in quality of playback...)