Subject: Re: quake2 help
To: Homer Sipes , <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/18/2002 08:21:07
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2002/07/17/0000.html

Back in the early 1.4 days, I installed and played the GNU/LINUX version
of Quake II without any trouble.

(Well, okay, a little trouble.  I recall that the CD used an RPM
mechanism, and I had to futz aound a bit.  I think that it actually
required that /bin/sh be BASH (it pulled it from the NetBSD GNU/LINUX
emulation dir, though, so that's alright) and I know that I had to fake
something to fall back to using cpio in the end.  (Maybe the RPM just
didn't work, and the install script gave up on RPM and used cpio as the
only other option?))

It's been about 3 years, I think, so I've forgotten some details.  (^&

But, it wasn't that hard, and is probably better than trying to run the
BillOS version under WINE, if you have equal access to both versions of
Quake II.  If you are just trying to test WINE's capabilities, or only
have the BillOS version...then ignore me.

Good luck.