Subject: Re: reinstalling bootblocks / boot selector
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/16/2002 13:56:42
> Maybe I'm remembering that wrong  - would you have to reinstall them
> after updating the disklabel?

You shouldn't have to - they are in different sectors.
/usr/mdec/installboot writes around the label, there is no reason
at all why disklabel should breath on the boot sectors.

> Right, does that install a bog-standard mbr, or the boot selector?

The standard fdisk tends to re-install the standard one.
It will only add the mbr_bootsel version if one isn't there
(so it won't replace it).
I have a better version :-)

> (OT: can our boot selector boot win98 off a second disk, or is there
> some limitation in windoze (surely not!) that prevents it booting off
> a non primary-master?)

Dunno - it might not like being booted if the disk has been moved
since installation. But I think it is ok - not seen any complaints!

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk