Subject: Re: Startup Messages
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/13/2002 00:50:20
At 12:21 PM -0700 7/12/02, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>  > and if you have many non-dmesg commands reported on console, they can
>
>I am not sure what this means. But it could be useful to also log to a
>file all the output from /etc/rc startups.
>
>>  fill up what is displayed when you type dmesg.
>
>Look at /var/run/dmesg.boot. (And see /etc/rc.d/dmesg.)

alpha# more /var/run/dmesg.boot
s Applied
      FRU CODE:  0xd0
          SKSV:  Actual Retry Count: 2

sd0(siop0:0:0:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x28 00 00 cd 2a 72 00 00 02 00
     SENSE KEY:  Recovered Error
    INFO FIELD:  13445746
      ASC/ASCQ:  Recovered Data With Retries
      FRU CODE:  0xd0
          SKSV:  Actual Retry Count: 5
<SNIP>

As I said. The dmesg command doesn't always help. And if uptime is
large enough, you get to play the fun game of "Find the
/var/log/messages.#.gz with the boot dmesg" if you're looking for
something contained in a boot message. Or just reboot, which is
easier.

Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.