Subject: Re: i386 newbie install questions
To: webmaster@datazap.net <webmaster@datazap.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/12/2002 13:00:11
On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, webmaster@datazap.net wrote:

> Although I have been using NetBSD for the last year or so, a friend of
> mine wanted me to install NetBSD on his P3, and I have had a couple

Excellent :)

> setting up on port-i386 will be used as a server. What will I need to
> change in the kernel, if anything?

Probably nothing. The generic i386 kernel has default configurations that
work for a lot of hardware. Anyways, after you get it installed and
running, then later you can improve your kernel for your needs (if
desired).

> start. I am just not sure what to do now. How do I get x to use kde3?

If using startx, then maybe create ~/.xinitrc file with:
exec startkde

If using gdm (or kdm), then use an executable ~/.xsession file with same:
exec startkde

> Also, I am not able to get a mouse to work. Do I need to install a mouse
> controller like is used by linux, and FreeBSD?

Most likely the i386 kernel properly detected and configured your mouse
using wsmouse. So try "grep wsmouse /var/run/dmesg.boot".

So in your /etc/XF86Config, use something like the
following in your "Pointer" section:
   Protocol        "wsmouse"
   Device          "/dev/wsmouse"

> I would like to make a backup of this hard drive to another hard drive
> when I am finished, and I can think of a few ways to do this,
> none of which are easy. Is there an easy way to do this?

Is the other hard disk already setup (fdisk, disklabel)? If so, use tar.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/