Subject: i386 newbie install questions
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: webmaster@datazap.net <webmaster@datazap.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/12/2002 15:39:30
Hi All,

Although I have been using NetBSD for the last year or so, a friend of
mine wanted me to install NetBSD on his P3, and I have had a couple
problems with the install.

First of all, when I built the kernel on port-Amiga I had to
make a large number of changes to the kernel. The computer that I am
setting up on port-i386 will be used as a server. What will I need to
change in the kernel, if anything?

I have also been having a problem with kde3. Not too long ago someone
asked questions about how to get kde3 to compile and install.  So, I was able to
make it throught that part with out a problem, and I was able to get X to
start. I am just not sure what to do now. How do I get x to use kde3?
Also, I am not able to get a mouse to work. Do I need to install a mouse
controller like is used by linux, and FreeBSD?

I would like to make a backup of this hard drive to another hard drive
when I am finished, and I can think of a few ways to do this,
none of which are easy. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks alot,
Al