Subject: Re: Startup Messages
To: Martin Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/12/2002 15:05:36
At 11:36 AM +0200 7/12/02, Martin Weber wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 05:17:45AM -0400, Michael G. Schabert wrote:
>>  At 10:26 AM +0200 7/12/02, Nicolas Saurbier wrote:
>>  >Hi All,
>>  >is there any Kernel-option, that disables the messages during boot?
>>  >I don=B4t want to see these messages:
>>
>>  Yes you do.
>>  You just don't know that you do.
>>
>>  If you *ever* have any problems, that's the first place we'll ask you
>>  to look (dmesg).
>
>So what ? I guess his point is that he doesn't want to see those
>message during starting, can always type 'dmesg' when it runs when
>we ask for one. So if he *ever* has any problems, he'll boot, type
>dmesg, pipe that into some file, and send it to us, where's the
>problem ?

DMESG doesn't always work. And you can only type dmesg if the problem
you're having still lets you login. The "dmesg" command is flawed,
and if you have many non-dmesg commands reported on console, they can
fill up what is displayed when you type dmesg.

The SCSI card on my alpha is wonky, and during heavy disk activity, I
get "Check condition" messages. Often, when I type dmesg, these are
all I can see. Sometimes it can be a fun game of "guess which
messages.#.gz has the dmesg".

>Michael: I think that Nicolas' request makes perfectly sense.

Boo hoo, you're forced to actually see text during boot. Boot the box
before you turn on the monitor if it's that important to you.

Yes, Mac OS X hides most of the messages for you in most boots (it
still shows "category headers" like "starting network"). On Mac OS X,
you hold down the "v" during boot for verbose output. NetBSD would be
entirely possible, but a bit more difficult because of the wide
variety of booting techniques on the various architectures (2-stage
bootloader, native boot, other-OS-based boot program, etc).

I certainly wouldn't object if someone wanted to start tackling it,
but I personally think that resources could definitely be better
spent elsewhere than something that's as superficial as this.

Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.