Subject: Re: Startup Messages
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/12/2002 12:31:24
* Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu> [020712 10:31]:
> If you don't mind that the messages scroll by, but just want them OFF of
> your console by the time you first login, then you might look at ttyaction
> (/etc/ttyaction).  You can set a "getty" action to run *before* a login
> prompt is displayed.  The specified action in my /etc/ttyaction is to
> clear the screen.  (I actually would like to *retain* my boot messages.
> I put the clear screen sequence in because I wanted to have the previous
> login activity cleared on logOUT.  Unfortunately, I couldn't see a way to
> do that, and I didn't want to treat the first virtual console differently
> from the others...)

Here's an idea off the top of my head.  Don't run a login on the first
wscons terminal.  Just leave it as a message console.  When wscons starts
switch to the second terminal, the first one with a login.  Now you can
have your screen clear on each login but you can switch back to the console
any time you want to see the boot messages.

Now, I don't know how to switch to an alternate screen.  It may require
code changes to wsconf.

> Depending on why you don't want to see these messages, one or more of the
> above may help.  (And, out of curiosity: Why don't you want to see them?)

I actually have the same question for you.  Whenever I log into a Linux
box it drives me nuts when the screen clears as soon as I log out.  What's
so great about clearing the screen?