Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.5.2 make install error
To: Johan A. van Zanten <johan@ragno.ewranglers.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/12/2002 07:06:29
On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Johan A. van Zanten wrote:

> I'm seeing a strange problem when running "make install" as root on a
> NetBSD 1.5.2 machine.
>
> Commands leading up to this are essentially:
>
> cd /usr/src
> cvs update -d -P -r netbsd-1-5
> make dependall
> make install

Better to do "make build", so that "/usr/share/mk" and "/usr/include"
are updated, among other things.

> The errors look like this:
>
> install ===> usr.bin/bzip2recover
> make: don't know how to make bzip2recover.1. Stop
>
> install -r -p -c -s   -o root -g wheel -m 555 dirname /usr/bin/dirname
> make: don't know how to make dirname.1. Stop

> /etc/mk.conf contains:
>
> R=/local/obj
> CCOPTS+=-mcpu=v8
> MKDOC=no
> MKINFO=no
> MKNLS=no
> #
> MKMAN=yes

Don't do that. The dirname/Makefile correctly sets "MKMAN" to "no",
because there is no man page to install. You're overriding the correct
setting. (It only makes sense to set it to "no".)

Frederick