Subject: Re: Startup Messages
To: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
From: Martin Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/12/2002 14:02:56
On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 02:55:08PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2002-07-12 11:36 +0000, Martin Weber wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes you do.
> > > You just don't know that you do.
> > >
> > > If you *ever* have any problems, that's the first place we'll ask
> > > you to look (dmesg).
> >
> > So what ? I guess his point is that he doesn't want to see those
> > message during starting, can always type 'dmesg' when it runs when
> > we ask for one. So if he *ever* has any problems, he'll boot, type
> > dmesg, pipe that into some file, and send it to us, where's the
> > problem ?
>
> Except perhaps, for those cases that some problem stops the kernel
> from booting long before any sort of login terminal is up :-/

Sheesh, it's not that complicated: with a flag which suppressed
"successful" output (probing, or starting of daemons or alike),
and only printed errant conditions (unconfigured devices e.g.,
or exit status of != 0 of programs invoked by rc). remember, I
say with a flag, implying it must be turned on before it's happening!

-Martin