Subject: Re: Startup Messages
From: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/12/2002 11:47:21
Martin Weber wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 10:55:05AM +0100, Chris Wareham wrote, in reply to me:
>
>>[...]
>>
>>And if he can't boot to a stage where he can login? Then he's
>>mucho fscked and looking at a reinstall, hoping that cures the
>>problem.
>

> After I did a successful boot, and did not change anything on
> my computer, what's wrong in not wanting to see those messages
> any longer ? boot -s e.g. could ALWAYS display the messages,
> and then you're not a bit fscked :)

Standard boot flags stuff is probably too technical for ordinary
users - for whom the command line is anathema unfortunately. This
debate really relates to the expectations of "ordinary users",
which means measuring up (or down) to what Windows provides. So I
suppose one answer is to include a clear option in the pretty
bootloader to come up in single user mode, or another option to
"show diagnostic messages". Something akin to the simple menu
Windows displays for selecting "safe mode".

Chris

--
chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk (work)
cwareham@btinternet.com (home)