Subject: Re: Startup Messages
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/12/2002 11:35:27

> A possible alternative is an optional 'pretty' boot loader, with
> the standard boot messages going to another virtual terminal. I've
> seen this done in at least one Linux distro, but I don't know
> whether it's possible under NetBSD.

Yes - hiding the startup messages (as corel linux did) removes
that warm fuzzy feeling that something is happening.

I sometimes add an 'echo' to the rc stuff to get the name
of each file output just before it is run.
Helps find out who to blame for that pregnant pause.

A 'quiet' boot could be done by passing a flag in from
the loader (cf boot -s and boot -d).  That would require
some way of getting state into the loader.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk