Subject: Re: PPP garbage data?
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Florian_St=F6hr?= <florian.stoehr@login-solutions.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/11/2002 13:57:25
hi,

never dialed any ISP with cu before. i tried several ISP, it's always the
same problem. i can dial all of them using Win2k with the same modem.

also happens when using pppd and chat script.

i enabled hardware handshake in options file for pppd.

> On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 @ 11:11am (+0200), Florian St=F6hr wrote:
>
> FS> hi,
> FS>
> FS> connection manually with cu:
> FS>
> FS> ATZ
> FS> OK
> FS> ATDT12345
> FS>
> FS> after receiving
> FS>
> FS> CONNECT 48000...
> FS>
> FS> some seconds just nothing happens. then I receive some garbage data f=
rom
> FS> the ISP (seems binary), then the modem disconnects.
> FS>
> FS> what's wrong? is this a kind of compression I have to setup? how to
> FS> receive login/password prompt?
>
> really it helps to know what type of dial-in gear your ISP uses.
>
> ... _most_ RAS gear, if it doesn't detect a PPP or SLIP session at connec=
> time, will give you a text based login prompt.
>
> have you ever cu'd in and dialed your ISP before?
>
> -lava
>

> FS> when connecting with pppd/chat-script i don't see the modem output, b=
ut it
> FS> seems like the same would happen since it disconnects too after some
> FS> seconds.
> FS>
> FS> Flo
> FS>
>
> later -           | _BonaFide[] =3D { coder, author, | /~\ The ASCII Ribb=
on
> Brian A. Seklecki | problem solver, scholar, BOFH, | \ / Campaign Against
>                   | vegetarian, runner, NetBSD     |  X  Exchange, Outloo=
>                   | advocate, spiritual machine }; | / \ & HTML Email
>
> PGP: 0111 4618 0111 4618 4AB2 24EB C853 6611 75C4 A91E A7A7 4973
>
> "There are only two things infinite:  The universe, and human stupidity. =
 And I'm not to sure about the first one."  -Albert Einstein