Subject: Re: DNS on LAN vs PPP
To: Gan Uesli Starling <alias@starling.ws>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/10/2002 14:34:27
On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Gan Uesli Starling wrote:

> Saw much about DNS and BIND in the DOCs. But
> I don't really want to set up my own DNS server.
> I just want to use the one on the LAN at work.

You can set the nameserver to use in /etc/resolv.conf like:
nameserver 192.168.0.1

where that IP is the IP of the nameserver for your LAN. (And hope that the
DNS admin has set it up for all hosts and IPs on your LAN.)

Or manually add each hostname and IP to your /etc/hosts file.

(By the way, if you want to easily test lookups for /etc/hosts and DNS,
try the new net/gethost package.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/