Subject: perl locale warnings (answer)
To: NetBSD general help <NetBSD-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Bjoern Labitzke <Bjoern.Labitzke@t-online.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/09/2002 20:27:16
Hello Manuel and all the others...

* Manuel Bouyer (bouyer@antioche.eu.org) Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 11:33:20PM +0100:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 07:21:34PM +0100, Bjoern Labitzke wrote:
> > What do I do, if I want, e.g. German error messages in a shell which I
> > get after setting of LANG=de? And I need the LC_CTYPE setting for
> > things like mutt which should show the correct characters. My output
> > looks like this:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > So, what is the correct solution here?
>
> LANG=de
> LC_ALL=C
> LC_CTYPE=de_DE.ISO8859-1
> and eventually LC_MESSAGES=de to have german messages in mutt too :)

With that answer I got rid of the perl warnings, but the LC_ALL
overrode the LC_MESSAGES setting, so I got English messages in mutt
again. My final (I hope...) answer is to leave LANG out. After all I
found that the LC_MESSAGES setting is enough to make mutt and the
shell happy. So now I have

LC_CTYPE=de_DE.ISO8859-1        <- to make native characters available
LC_MESSAGES=de_DE.ISO8859-1     <- to make native language texts available

Just wanted to share this...

Bye,
Bjoern

--
Bjoern Labitzke  <bcsl@gmx.de>
   Use GPG! (Don't you use envelopes for your letters?)