Subject: Re: Setting up PPPoA for SpeedTouch ADSL
To: lim chee peng <chowhai@boxfrog.com>
From: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/08/2002 09:59:46
lim chee peng wrote:

> I would like to know whether NetBSD supports pppoa for the Speedtouch
> ADSL modem. I was able to set up pppoa in FreeBSD (they conveniently
> packages it as pppoa under the ports). I wonder if there is any way to
> install pppoa in NetBSD, is there any ports for it?
> I'm unfortunate enough to subscribe to an ISP which only supports
> Windows platform and PPPOA only. I did ask for technical assistance from
> them but they blatently refused any support for other platforms.
> Furthemore they said that my subscription only allows single user only
> and not for home network(what do they mean by that??)

I subscribe to BT Openworld, which is an ADSL service in the UK. Like
your ISP, they provide the Speedtouch modem and only support Windows.
Likewise, they call it a "single user only package". Using the open
source Speedtouch driver (http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net/) and the
userland ppp made by one of the driver authors, I was able to connect
to my ISP very easily.

Once NAT was configured (which was a three line configuration file,
one line in rc.conf and another in sysctl.conf), I could run a whole
network of machines behind my NetBSD firewall. This is contrary to the
rules of the "single user only package", but many people do it and my
ISP at least doesn't mind. They just don't want the additional headaches
of officially supporting such configurations.

Chris

--
chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk (work)
cwareham@btinternet.com (home)