Subject: CVS question-- failure when updating gzip
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Mark E. Perkins <perkinsm@bway.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/07/2002 21:20:06
Greetings.
I've been poking around the edges of CVS use for a while, esp. w.r.t.
applying security updates. I finally figured out that (at least part of) my
problem has been that I never downloaded the full source tree from CVS....

I'm running your basic mac68k port of 1.5, so I downloaded the source tree
via

        cvs checkout -rnetbsd-1-5 src

Then (with a bit of trial and error to find a way to get updated sources) I
used a variation on the instructions in SA2002-002 to get the updated
sources for gzip:

        cvs update -rHEAD gnu/usr.bin/gzip
        cd gnu/usr.bin/gzip
        make cleandir dependall

at which point I eventually see the following errors:

unbzip2.o: Undefined symbol `_BZ2_bzDecompressInit' referenced from text
segment
unbzip2.o: Undefined symbol `_BZ2_bzDecompress' referenced from text segment
unbzip2.o: Undefined symbol `_BZ2_bzDecompressEnd' referenced from text
segment
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error code 1

The offending symbols are used in /usr/include/bzlib.h, but I can't figure
out where they are actually defined. Can anyone lend a clue as to

1) what I'm doing that's not quite right
2) where these symbols are defined (and what I need to do to get this
update compiled and installed correctly

Thanks,
Mark