Subject: Re: gcc 3?
To: None <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu>
From: db <db@mosey.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/05/2002 12:54:22
> * db@mosey.org <db@mosey.org> [020705 13:30]:
> > I am very new to NetBSD (I am coming from Debian Linux).  There seem to
> > be many up-to-date packages in NetBSD 1.5.2, with the notable exception
> > of gcc 3.x.
> >
> > I am interested in trying out NetBSD on my workstation, but require gcc
> > 3 in order to do that.
>
> Mind if I ask why?

Not at all, I should have explained more from the outset.  At work, I
currently use Debian to compile our internal project which needs gcc 3
(there is some problem with template instantiation on gcc 2.95, the
details of which I cannot rememember right now).

Over this vacation (I live in the States where there is a major
holiday), I was browsing around and came across netbsd.org, and started
doing some reading.  I became interested enough to want to give it a
whirl, so I was hoping that gcc 3 was in there somewhere (either
backported to 1.5.2, or buried within the 1.6 beta which I have not
looked at yet), so that, in the event I liked it, I would have the option
of running it at work, where gcc 3 is required.

db