Subject: Re: How to capture sound from an application?
To: Michael Core <520079546242-0001@t-online.de>
From: None <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/04/2002 18:41:35
* Michael Core <520079546242-0001@t-online.de> [020625 00:48]:

> > If the application generating audio comes with source code, it should
> > be trivial to modify the application to write to a normal file instead
> > of a device file.
>
> Actually, I have the source and I could do this. But I am more
> interested in a solution which works even without the source. If the
> application is linked dynamically against e.g. libsdl or libossaudio I
> could compile a patched version of those which does the same.

Ooh, this rings a bell - I remember trying to record a realaudio
stream once, and someone suggested something called "linux-vsound",
because I was too cheap to buy the gold version (and too proud to
resort to win****).

It was a FreeBSD port (== package in NetBSD lingo), so I assume it would
run in a BSD Limuxulator...

The distfile is at:

ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/vsound-0.4.tar.gz

(and I expect it's in /pub/FreeBSD/ports/.... on the FreeBSD FTP server,
but I can't get to it right now).

Looking at the Makefile, it needs the Linux emulation stuff, so it
probably only works with Linux binaries, but it could be a starting point
for a native version?