Subject: Re: keeping up with 1.5 ?
To: Rob Ellis <rob@web.ca>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/03/2002 16:49:30
On Wed, 3 Jul 2002 @ 3:06pm (-0400), Rob Ellis wrote:

RE> we have a sparc, running 1.5.1, and i want to bring it
RE> up-to-date with recent security fixes. i'm assuming i
RE> should upgrade to the latest 1.5.x...?
RE>
RE> apologies in advance if this is a frequently asked question,
RE> but: what's the recommended procedure for doing that?
RE>
RE> can i just do i do a 'make build' as with netbsd-current,
RE> but use '-rnetbsd-1-5' for cvs checkout/update ?

...it's not technically -current if you specify a -rnetbsd-1-5 flag to
cvs, but, yes, you've got the general idea:

*) check out the latest sources from the netbsd-1-5 branch using 'cvs -t
co -rnetbsd-1-5 src'

*) build and boot a new kernel

*) rebuild userland w/ 'make build' (no build.sh for you)

...i think the ONLY fix this won't include is the openssh bug, but you can
fix that by installing the latest version from pkgsrc, and setting
PKG_BASE(i think) to /usr in mk.conf

-lava

RE> is that safe?
RE>
RE> or should i build a release (or get an up-to-date snapshot?),
RE> and then start an install and pick 'upgrade'...?
RE>
RE> if there's documentation on this, please point me to it. :-)
RE>
RE> thanks.
RE>
RE> - rob

later -           | _BonaFide[] = { coder, author, | /~\ The ASCII Ribbon
Brian A. Seklecki | problem solver, scholar, BOFH, | \ / Campaign Against
                  | vegetarian, runner, NetBSD     |  X  Exchange, Outlook
                  | advocate, spiritual machine }; | / \ & HTML Email

PGP: 0111 4618 0111 4618 4AB2 24EB C853 6611 75C4 A91E A7A7 4973

"Microsoft Windoze: 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition."