Subject: Re: MAXPARTITIONS at 16 on i386?
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/03/2002 11:26:16

> And related to my first set of questions... the BIOS on my PC with NetBSD
> can address up to 8GB of disk space. The first 6GB contain WinME, and
> the remaining 2GB contains NetBSD. As long as the NetBSD kernel is
> located within the area that the BIOS can access, NetBSD should be
> able to access the entire disk, right? (I'm think the answer is 'yes',
> but I'm not 100% sure about this...).

netbsd can access the entire disk, however bios calls are used to
load the kernel.  This means that the filesystem that contains
the 'netbsd' file [1] has to be readable by the bios - eg below 8Gb
in your case.  It is easiest to achieve this by ensuring that the
root filesystem is below 8Gb.

	David

[1] actually it is enough that all the blocks of netbsd be readable,
but the fs code won't have appropriate block allocation rules.

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk