Subject: MAXPARTITIONS at 16 on i386?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Stark <bpstark@pacbell.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/03/2002 00:52:31
Hi,

I'm running i386/1.5ZC and just updated my CVS sources to go to 1.6B.
Looking at /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/include/disklabel.h, I came across
the following:

#define MAXPARTITIONS           16      /* number of partitions */
#define OLDMAXPARTITIONS        8       /* number of partitions before 1.6 */

I'm anxious to have more than 8 partitions on one of my drives -- what do
I need to do to make use of the new maximum amount of partitions? Can I
create and install a new kernel and new disklabel program, and then just
edit my existing disklabel? Or, do I need to nuke my existing NetBSD
partition and install a new disklabel and then start creating my
partitions?

And related to my first set of questions... the BIOS on my PC with NetBSD
can address up to 8GB of disk space. The first 6GB contain WinME, and
the remaining 2GB contains NetBSD. As long as the NetBSD kernel is
located within the area that the BIOS can access, NetBSD should be
able to access the entire disk, right? (I'm think the answer is 'yes',
but I'm not 100% sure about this...).

thanks in advance,

Brian Stark
bpstark at pacbell dot net