Subject: Re: Really annoying package situation
To: Tracy Nelson , <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/31/2002 18:31:41
On Sun, 31 Mar 2002, Richard Rauch wrote:

> Did you try ``make update''?

Oh, bearing in mind your previous question, a little more closely:

That's ``make update'' in a particular package's directory.  E.g., ``cd
/usr/pkgsrc/lang/drscheme && make update''.

Update does *not* just ``update'' packages.  It installs them if they
aren't already installed.  So ``cd /usr/pkgsrc && make update'' would
presumably try to install every package---probably not what you wanted.

But, in the context of single package's pkgsrc directories, it does more
or less what you would expect.  (Save that it does not, I think, actually
check to see if the update is going to install a new version; it just
deinstalls the package, along with everything that depends upon it and
everything that it requires to have updated, then reinstalls everything
that it deinstalled.  I don't *think* that it will deinstall an acceptably
up-to-date package that the present package *depends* upon.  Otherwise,
it's pretty much unconditional.)