Subject: Re: Starting jobs from init
To: Paul Newhouse , <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/30/2002 00:47:48
You can also use an ``@reboot'' crontab entry.  (I had the vague memory
that I used this in the past with the effect that it auto-restarts, but I
can't see any indication of that, now, in the man-page.  All that I can
see, now, is that it runs it on every boot.)

I used to run the SETI@Home client this way (under the aegis of a ``seti''
user account), when I had a continuous Internet connection.  A down side
of doing this (instead of using the rc stuff) is that you can't attach any
dependancies to it---cron will just start it whenever, shortly after
booting.  An up side is that cron takes care of making sure that the
daemon is running under the desired uid (if you don't need to run as root,
then it saves you the bother of switching, and eliminates the possibility
that your daemon will somehow abuse root access before becoming a less
privileged user...(^&).