Subject: Re: Exporting /usr/src
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/29/2002 16:45:59
--- Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Andy R wrote:
>
> > > What should the line for /usr/src look like in
> my
> > > /etc/exports file?
>
> > I'd like to add that I have read Frederico Lupi's
> > manual, and I do export some other directories on
> the
> > server as -ro. I keep trying to export the
> /usr/src
> > directory and on the clients I get a "permission
> > denied" message every time. I do a kill -1 on
> mountd
> > every time I make a change to /etc/exports as
> well. I
> > forgot to add all this.
>
> You really need to give more information. What does
> the line in
> "/etc/exports" look like? Do you see any errors from
> "mountd" in
> /var/log/messages after "/etc/rc.d/mountd reload &&
> /etc/rc.d/nfsd
> restart"? What is the result, on the client, of
> "showmount -e _server_"?
> What command do you use to mount on the clients?
> Does the mountpoint
> exist?

Thanks for your help, it turns out that when I removed
the -alldirs flag from /etc/exports it then worked. So
here's what I have in my /etc/exports file:

/usr/src -maproot=root sparky

I guess my real question is: What is the proper way to
export the /usr/src tree so I can build from other
boxes? I assume things get written to this directory
from the client (for sure when I build the kernel), so
what happens when I want to build again from another
client? Do I have to clean the source tree on the nfs
server every time?

Sorry, I don't do this kind of thing normally. I'm
just a regular user type of guy...

Andy