Subject: RE: resolutions
To: Richard Rauch <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Sporleder, Matthew \(CCI-Atlanta\) <Matthew.Sporleder@cox.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/29/2002 18:51:08
Actually, I was talking about the console.  The colour depth isn't =
really an issue for most things, other than my laptop makes the =
transition to/frin X easier if it is already running that the desired =
resolutions/colour depth.  (sometimes it does this weird screen melting =
thing) =20
If wsdisplay is running a frame buffer, then I wanted to know if it was =
possible to select a different video mode.
I see that the number of rows/columns available on screen can be changed =
by just using a smaller font and using wsconscfg -t command, but is it =
as powerful as the frame buffer?  Or is the framebuffer option in lilo =
actually some kind of X service working?

Changing the resolution of the console (terminal was a bad word.  It was =
late and I apologize :) is beneficial because you can get more text on =
the screen.  Maybe you're right and I'm going about it in the wrong way, =
but I was trying to emulate something that happens like this:
http://www.slackware.com/book/index.php?source=3Dc1710.html#LILO

Or see these Lilo options that I was mentioning earlier:
vga=3Dmode=20
This specifies the VGA text mode that should be selected when booting. =
The following values are recognized (case is ignored):=20
normal: select normal 80x25 text mode.=20

extended (or ext): select 80x50 text mode.=20

ask: stop and ask for user input (at boot time).=20

<number>: use the corresponding text mode. A list of available modes can =
be obtained by booting with vga=3Dask and pressing [Enter].=20

If this variable is omitted, the VGA mode setting contained in the =
kernel image is used. (And that is set at compile time using the =
SVGA_MODE variable in the kernel Makefile, and can later be changed with =
the rdev(8) program.)=20

from http://www.linuxcentral.com/linux/man-pages/lilo.conf.5.html

wsdisplay states that it is running at 80x25
and in the BUGS section of the wsconscfg man file it states that there =
should be an easier way to get screen types available.  Anyone have a =
list of this nature?