Subject: Re: nslookup and hosts on local net
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Mark E. Perkins <perkinsm@bway.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/28/2002 20:03:26
--On Thursday, March 28, 2002 16:52 -0800 "Jeremy C. Reed"
<reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Mark E. Perkins wrote:
>
>> I don't expect my ISP's name server to find a host on my network.... It
>> appears to my poor brain that the man page for nsswitch.conf is saying
>> that nslookup will first look in my /etc/hosts, then query DNS. If this
>> is not
>
> nsswitch.conf doesn't even mention "nslookup".

I see my error. FWIW, I also see that the man page for resolv.conf says
that the 'lookup' keyword is now ignored because "its function has been
superseded by features of nsswitch.conf(5)." Not a completely true
statement if 'lookup' actually applied (at one time) to resolver queries.

'nuff o' that... this horse is thoroughly deceased.

Thanks for the clarification.

Mark