Subject: Re: nslookup and hosts on local net
To: Mark E. Perkins <perkinsm@bway.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/28/2002 16:11:15
On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Mark E. Perkins wrote:

> 'ping netbsd1' works, so I guess there's no problem with gethostbyname(),
> only a problem with my limited understanding... 8*)
>
> 'nslookup netbsd1' returns a "Non-existent host/domain" error from the ISP
> name server. So I guess my *real& question is why? Shouldn't it return the
> IP address as found in /etc/hosts?

How would your ISP's name server know to find this information in your
/etc/hosts?

If you want your ISP's name server to return this information then ask
your ISP. If you want to do it yourself, then configure named.conf
(and zone). (NetBSD comes with BIND so you can do your own DNS.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/