Subject: Re: Newbie needs network help
To: Joseph Bales <root@josephbales.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/28/2002 23:00:03
On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 03:52:29PM -0600, Joseph Bales wrote:
> I have just installed NetBSD 1.5.2 on my system.  I am able to boot the
> system, so the underlying OS seems to be working fine.  However, I was
> unable to configure my network during install.  I was able to use the
> Network Configuration utility and go to the prompt and ping servers during
> the install, but after I rebooted, no network services were started.  I am
> not new to Unix, but I have been spoiled my various Linux distros with
> automatic network configuration wizards.  I know very little about how
> things work.  Is there somewhere I can go that has a very simple
> explaination of how to get my network up and running?
>
> I use a router/gateway to connect to the internet, so all I need to know is
> how to start network services at boot and gain access to this router.  I'm
> using static IPs on my local network so I don't need DHCP.  I've tried
> reading the docs on netbsd.org, but they assume that I know something about
> networking.  Thanks for the info and links in advance.

So:
From 'ifconfig -a' and 'dmesg' try to guess your interface name.
Usually it's the first one listed by ifconfig.
I assume your interface name is ne0 (change to what name your is):
create an /etc/ifconfig.ne0 file containing:
inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

change 10.0.0.1 by your real IP address, and 255.255.255.0 by your netmask.
Put the name of your machine in /etc/myname
put the IP address of your router in /etc/mygate
setup /etc/resolv.conf as follow:
search          antioche.eu.org
nameserver 10.0.0.254

remplace antioche.eu.org by your DNS domain name, and 10.0.0.254 by the IP
of your DNS server.
type
/etc/rc.d/network start
and it should work.