Subject: Newbie needs network help
To: NetBSD <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Joseph Bales <atvar@eskimo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/28/2002 15:52:29
I have just installed NetBSD 1.5.2 on my system.  I am able to boot the
system, so the underlying OS seems to be working fine.  However, I was
unable to configure my network during install.  I was able to use the
Network Configuration utility and go to the prompt and ping servers during
the install, but after I rebooted, no network services were started.  I am
not new to Unix, but I have been spoiled my various Linux distros with
automatic network configuration wizards.  I know very little about how
things work.  Is there somewhere I can go that has a very simple
explaination of how to get my network up and running?

I use a router/gateway to connect to the internet, so all I need to know is
how to start network services at boot and gain access to this router.  I'm
using static IPs on my local network so I don't need DHCP.  I've tried
reading the docs on netbsd.org, but they assume that I know something about
networking.  Thanks for the info and links in advance.

Joey

root@josephbales.com
http://www.josephbales.com