Subject: Re: Can't boot the system installation
To: Alex <lodoss@gpul.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/26/2002 23:12:20
On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 06:50:45PM +0100, Alex wrote:
> Hi there
>
> Mi name is Alex and I'm new to this list.
> Well, I'm trying to install NetBSD 1.5.2 on a  laptop Compaq Armada 7790DMT
> with 64mb RAM and 5Gb hadrdrive. The problem with this laptop is that I
> can't use the floppy and the CD at the same time so I can't boot from the 2
> laptop floppy images, and I boot from the CD.
> I've never seen the installer because I got a kernel trap every time I try
> to boot it. I can't do copy/paste, so I wrote the most important (I think)
>
> pcic0: controller 0 detecting irqs with mask
> 0xde18:..9..10uvm_fault(0xc058f160, 0x0, 0, 1) -> 1
> kernel: page fault trap, code=0
> Stopped in swapper at 0xc02a9760:    movl    0x14(%ecx),%edx
> db>
>
> I tried to follow instructions about rewriting pcic_isa_intr_alloc_mask and
> this stuff that are in the install.html. I searched for the symbols and I
> tried and when I write db> continue, I got the same error
>
> Does anybody know what can I do?

Do you have windows on the machine ? You can try to load the kernel
netbsd.INSTALL_LAPTOP.gz from CD using dosboot.com

> NetBSD is the only bSD that supports my Cardbus ethernet (rtl 8139). OpenBSD
> and FreeBSD doesn't support it. Anyway, I can install Linux because it
> works, but I'm tired of linux, BSD is more interesting.

Is the ethernet detected when you boot from floppies ?
If so maybe you can install from network, with the CD in another machine
acting as ftp or NFS server ?

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>