Subject: Re: CardBus vs. PCMCIA?
To: Malcolm Herbert <Malcolm.Herbert@member.sage-au.org.au>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/24/2002 01:59:17
At 3:51 PM +1100 3/24/02, Malcolm Herbert wrote:
>On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 08:37:14PM -0800, dmelton@banzuke.com wrote:
>|CardBus is a higher-performance version of PCMCIA. A standard PCMCIA
>|card will work in a CardBus slot, but a CardBus device won't work in a
>|regular PCMCIA slot unless it is also backward compatible to standard
>|PCMCIA. Lots of network cards are CardBus compatible, since bandwidth
>|is far more important than on something like a modem.
>
>ah ... that's encouraging then ... I hadn't heard of CardBus, so I was
>reading the manual and thinking it had been phased out or dropped and
>wasn't widely supported because it was old. I'm much happier to know
>that it isn't widely supported because it's new ... :)

Yeah, a number of years back, the PTBs renamed PCMCIA devices "PC
Cards" because normal folx couldn't keep the acronym straight. So
when a 32-bit version came out, they named it CardBus to follow in
the newer "card" tradition. CardBus is about 4-5 years old now, while
I have a 486slc 25MHz laptop with PCMCIA slots (hmm, now that I think
of it, I should throw NetBSD on it).

HTH
Mike
--