Subject: Re: Unable to Mount Root Partition (NFS)
To: Jack Lloyd <lloyd@acm.jhu.edu>
From: John Clark <j1clark@ucsd.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/21/2002 13:33:49
Am Donnerstag den, 21. M=E4rz 2002, um 13:11, schrieb Jack Lloyd:

> Anyway, using ethereal, what it looks like is that botan starts asking=20=

> for
> bootparam again, which my portmap then ignores. That seems like a bad
> thing. But I don't get why it's asking for bootparam a second time,=20
> when it
> will just be the same thing, and why it thinks the NFS mount has =
failed,
> when it's already mounted that partition, in order to get the kernel!

I don't have sparc so I can't really say what is going on there. =
However,
I do have a comment. REALLY IMPORTANT Make sure you have a
mountd that has the security hole fixed... perhaps RH7.2 has the
fixed mountd, but I got bit a month ago by this 'well known' security
issue. And as a note, some versions of SSHD have a security problem
as well...

However, I have gotten a RH 7.1 linux to act as tftpboot and NFS root
server for my NetBSD board, although I may have been using a
downloaded-from-the-consortium dhcpd source set...

As it is I have found using my laptop for both NetBSD development
and NFS root exporting allows me to go anywhere... so I've not continued
to use the linux box for NetBSD work.