Subject: Re: mozilla 0.9.9, anyone? (was Re: Mozilla is slow)
To: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@reiher.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/20/2002 17:51:38
Chris Wareham writes:

>I have found 0.9.9 much more stable than 0.9.[78], plus the mail
>and newsreader feels much quicker. It seems that the current work

This is also my experience, although it still _does_ crash on some
webpages (but what would we expect... :)  It certainly does make
quite a difference compared to 0.9.8.

>on performance is really paying off, and they're finally
>approaching Netscape 4's speed but without the instability.

I don't feel it's anywhere near Netscape 4's "speed" though.
The GUI is still quite slow (Mozilla is about as fast on a 800Mhz
AMD Duron PC as Netscape 4.7x is on my 60Mhz HP 712 workstation,
with the exception of webpage rendering, where Mozilla is a lot
faster of course.)

>One thing I had problems with was building an 'official' milestone.

Why don't you just use pkgsrc?  Pkgsrc' got 0.9.9 since very soon
after the milestone was released.  Just update your mozilla pkgsrc
entry via cvs and there you go.

--mkb