Subject: Re: NetBSD MP3 Machine
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/20/2002 16:52:46
Jeffrey Flowers wrote:

> 1. I like the interface used by the NetBSD installer and I would like to
> create something like it. How this was programmed?

The curses library. It's a neat way of adding an interface to a
console program, and is used by vi (although vi haters wont see
that as a recommendation). The ncurses package comes with quite
a reasonable manual, while in print there's a good chapter on
curses in "Beginning Linux Programming", (1st edition, not so
sure about the second).

I've also seen several libraries of curses 'widgets', custom
buttons, test entry boxes, etc. which make curses programming
that little bit easier. Not that it's hard in the first place!

If you want an MP3 player with a curses interface, then it's
well worth checking out those available for mpg123. In fact,
mpg123 would make a great backend if you want to write your
own custom MP3 interface.

Chris

--
chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk (work)