Subject: Re: Advanced Routing
To: Diego Linke - GAMK <linke@magicwebdesign.com.br>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/18/2002 23:21:26
> I need to NAT the internal network, being able to choose which IPs go
> "nated" for the ADSL or for the leased line. The company's Directors already
> asked me to return to Linux, since it has "ip advanced routing". I'm struggling

First off, Linux doesn't contain any "avanced IP routing", in fact, Linux
is complete trash and you'd be crazy to re-install it.

There are few basic concepts you need to understand.

*) Enabling ip forwarding in the kernel is one thing.  This is what Cisco
calls "Default Routing", i.e., "If the desination isn't local, and I don't
have a static route for it, forward to the default gateway."

*) routed(8) will do RIP based routing for you (never used it)

*) pkgsrc/net/zebra(sp?) will do OSPF/BGP/etc for you (never used it)

*) ipf(8) (Access lists) will provide network security will sit ontop of
the about 3

*) ipnat(8) (Network Address Translation) is another feature that
integrates with all of the above to conserve IPv4 address space.

...what you probably need is a combination of these.

But whatever you end up doing, don't let the suits convince you back into
Linux.

-lava

> to mantain BSD on our servers, and I cannot believe it's not possible to
> perform this function under this so advanced system.
>
> Any help is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Atenciosamente,
> --
> [ Diego Linke - GAMK ]
> System/Network Administrator
> Curitiba - Parana - Brazil
> E-Mail: gamk@gamk.com.br
> Web Site: http://www.gamk.com.br
> Phone Number: (+5541) 9967-3464

later -           | _BonaFide[] = { coder, author, | /~\ The ASCII Ribbon
Brian A. Seklecki | problem solver, scholar, BOFH, | \ / Campaign Against
                  | vegetarian, runner, NetBSD     |  X  Exchange, Outlook
                  | advocate, spiritual machine }; | / \ & HTML Email

"There are only two things infinite:  The universe, and human stupidity.  And I'm not to sure about the first one."  -Albert Einstein