Subject: Re: stripping kernel
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Greg MATTHEWS <G.Matthews@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/15/2002 10:59:16
thanks to all that replied to this thread. i was actually talking about using
the command strip i.e.

# strip /netbsd

to strip out unneeded symbols etc from the compiled kernel.

Matthias said that ps would stop working (and hinted that other things would
too). i wouldnt want to live without tools like this.

i usually run a custom kernel anyway on my sparc classic which has all the
non-sun4m taken out. it seems that no matter how hard i push this little
machine (50MHz 48MB) e.g. compiling userland, it never uses swap space. the
only time i saw it use swap was when i tried to migrate all my mrtg network
monitoring stuff to it, and it totally swamped the box.

GREG