Subject: Re: stripping kernel
To: None <tnelson158@attbi.com, netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: village idiot <village_ldi0t@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/15/2002 02:23:17
I agree, stripping the kernel depends mainly on what
you want your machine to do. If you do stuff that is
"special" from others, for example you have a server
thats only purpose is certain specialized tasks that
needs to happend very fast, it may be a good idea to
chuck out all the stuff you know that you wont need. I
have a kernel now that is 2,5 MB, and that is a
specialized kernel with some extra features included.
I think you might be able to get your kernel down
under 2MB if you try.

I recommend that you try doing it, just make a backup
of your old kernel to for example kernel.old. Then
when you make your new kernels that you test (if you
make several) just kall them kernel.xxxx (representing
a date), and make "kernel" be a link instead of the
actual kernel, that way you can easily just make it
point to one of your previous kernels if you want to
"go back".

But! Do make a copy of the config file as it is now.
Make your new one by copying the one you use now.
You'd be surprised at the amount of stuff you can
chuck out. You can really make some performance
improvements by doing this.

Or, you could make the kernel really huge, and have it
set up to only work in kernel mode. I have one that is
25MB, wich includes a file system and a fair amount of
code. But that will probably not serve your purpose.

Just have a go at it. Good luck. Cheers!

Morten