Subject: ftp thinks its port is 'ftpgate'
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/15/2002 01:10:41
Hi all,

I just installed 1.5.2 on an i386 dual processor (266 MHz Pentium).  The machine is at work, behind a firewall.  Using hints I read here, I broke out of sysinst, set up the environment variables for ftp(1) describing the firewall, and restarted sysinst.  This let me let sysinst pull the sets via ftp.

All's well.  I'm going to set it up to track -current, besides doing useful work occasionally.

A bit of oddness, though, in the newly booted system, logged in as root.  For some reason, ftp thinks its default port is 'ftpgate':

$ env |grep FTP; echo gate |ftp
FTPMODE=gate
FTPSERVER=ftppxy
Gate ftp: off, server ftppxy, port ftpgate.

If I try "ftp ftp.netbsd.org", I get a message about the port.  If I try
"ftp ftp.netbsd.org 21", it works.

Known problem, more information, or send-pr?

Thanks.

--jkl