Subject: Re: Using CCD driver to improve disk I/O.....
To: David S. <davids@idiom.com>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/14/2002 11:46:03
On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, David S. wrote:

> > > I heard that by using ccd (concatenated/striped disk devices), one can
> > > improve the disk I/O.  I read the manual (ccd) but it's more of dictionary of

IMCHO, ccd(4) is extremely simplistic implementation of RAID0, not even
worth having a pairity/stripe (hence my example on the guide doesn't
mention it).

It's good for making a big file system mount accros disks of different
sizes (like all those mp3s of CDs you own that you're legally allowed to
have one backup copy of >:} )

If you're serious about RAID0, use RaidFrame (which requires disks of the
_exact same geometry_).

-lava

> > You have only one disk ?
> > ccd improves disk I/O by spreading the load accross several disks. With
> > only one disk ccd won't help at all.
>
> Also note that if you put two disks in simple stripe - which you'd do if
> you just wanted to improve I/O performance - you double the the chance
> of disk failure making your data inacessible.  A simple stripe or
> concatenation of n disks is less reliable than n individual disks.
>
> David S.

later -           | _BonaFide[] = { coder, author, | /~\ The ASCII Ribbon
Brian A. Seklecki | problem solver, scholar, BOFH, | \ / Campaign Against
                  | vegetarian, runner, NetBSD     |  X  Exchange, Outlook
                  | advocate, spiritual machine }; | / \ & HTML Email

"From listening comes wisdom and from speaking repentance."