Subject: [Fwd: Re: network card recommendation]
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <netbsd@purk.ee>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/14/2002 10:50:10
-------- Originaal S6num --------
Pealkiri: Re: network card recommendation
Kellelt: <netbsd@purk.ee>
Kellele: <seanius@seanius.net>

Hi

finally i found whats the cause of server crach....no buffer...
Realtek was the cause...on my heavy loaded server:) Default
kernel on NetBSD 1.5.2 having a bad driver...now i tetsed those
in 1.5.3 ALPHA...and thats ok with Realtek chips...i reccomend
intel..or 3com...they always working fine...for me:)

Greetings

> i've been using two cheapo realtek 8139 based cards that i got for
like
> 8 bucks apeice off pricewatch, and they've been working fine for a
year
> or two now. though recently dhcp has been complaining about
incorrect
> udp lengths (I suspect this might be due to the client laptop)
> everything including dhcp works.  I've used them for normal old
static
> ip dsl (ah, those were the days), dhcp based dsl, dhcp based
cable, and
> most recently pppoe (thanks -current:) through verizon's
wonderful idea
> of internet service providing.
>
> the only sticky point with them that I've had is that you have to
> explicitly compile an option for phys into the kernel if you want to
> specify things like 'media 10baseT' for ifconfig.
>
> --sean
>
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 07:30:16PM -0500, Analysis & Solutions
wrote:
>> Hi Folks:
>>
>> Can a few people here please tell me the make/model of the PCI
network
>> card(s) you are successfully using on a i386 system?  In
particular,
>> users who are hooked up to a network via DHCP.  Even more
>> particularly, if there are some here, using Time Warner's cable
modem
>> service.
>>
>> I'm asking here, rather than taking the NetBSD hardware list at
it's
>> word because I scored a card that's on the list but it's not
working
>> for  me.  WEEKS of tinkering lead to indications that the sip
driver
>> has  bugs.
>>
>> I'm in the midst of trying to track down that bug with Manuel,
but I
>> want to try another card to see if the problem goes away or not.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --Dan
>>
>> --
>>                 PHP scripts that make your job easier
>>               http://www.analysisandsolutions.com/code/
>>          SQL Solution  |  Layout Solution  |  Form Solution
>>  T H E   A N A L Y S I S   A N D   S O L U T I O N S   C O M P A
N Y